Last weekend my husband and I went to visit his aunt and uncle in northern Vermont for the weekend. The trip had three purposes - 1) to enjoy time with his aunt and uncle, 2) for my husband to teach his uncle how to brew beer and 3) to go cross country skiing. Their land abuts a large array of groomed cross country trails, so it is the perfect place to go skiing.
I've been cross country skiing a number of times before, so in the rules I've set for myself on this Adventure, this didn't count. However, what I did realize was that I've never been skiing in Vermont. I've been skiing in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and even Michigan, but not Vermont. Given that, I figure I'd include it as a mini adventure as I strive to try as many new athletic pursuits as I can this year.
The Mini Adventure
Our first full day in Vermont it was -10 degrees out during the day, so that seemed like a good day to brew beer since it would heat up the house and we wouldn't have to worry about getting frostbite if we were out too long. (I have no doubt that I wouldn't have lasted long in the cold, but the avoiding frost bite seemed like a better argument). I spent most of the brewing experience knitting and watching the process, but since it was cold enough for my husband and his uncle to try chilling the initial mixture in the snow instead of in a sink with ice, I had to take some pictures of it:
I've been cross country skiing a number of times before, so in the rules I've set for myself on this Adventure, this didn't count. However, what I did realize was that I've never been skiing in Vermont. I've been skiing in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and even Michigan, but not Vermont. Given that, I figure I'd include it as a mini adventure as I strive to try as many new athletic pursuits as I can this year.
The Mini Adventure
Our first full day in Vermont it was -10 degrees out during the day, so that seemed like a good day to brew beer since it would heat up the house and we wouldn't have to worry about getting frostbite if we were out too long. (I have no doubt that I wouldn't have lasted long in the cold, but the avoiding frost bite seemed like a better argument). I spent most of the brewing experience knitting and watching the process, but since it was cold enough for my husband and his uncle to try chilling the initial mixture in the snow instead of in a sink with ice, I had to take some pictures of it:
![]() |
| Uncle Ernie tamping down the snow around the container |






No comments:
Post a Comment